Advising at the School of Social Work
"..the act of advising would be the exploration of the student's interests, past experiences and future goals and connecting these to what the campus has to offer that may be of benefit and a good fit for the student. In this way, advising is listening turned into meaningful reflection and action. It is thought provoking and purposeful." (Ogburn, 2013).
The Social Work Advisor will
- Assist students with developing and clarifying their educational goals
- Assist students with developing a plan of study to support their educational and professional Social Work goals.
- Provide accurate information regarding policies, procedures, resources, and programs.
- Assist students with understanding the progress toward degree.
- Make referrals to other campus or community offices when appropriate and needed.
- Encourage and nurture students' educational growth, to encourage lifelong learning and development.
Current BSW Students
Those who have been formally accepted to the major, please contact the Director of BSW Student Services, Jerey McKinney to prepare for your advising appointments and ensure you are on track toward completing your degree plans of study, syllabi and schedules and field education. You also can go directly to her appointment manager and reserve an appointment.
Current MSW Students
(Those who have been formally admitted into the MSW program) contact the Director of MSW Student Services, Tuwana Wingfield to prepare for your advising appointments and ensure you are on track toward completing your degree, please read about concentrations and plans of study, syllabi and schedules and field education.